The first track, "pullout couch," opens up with some lethargic, understated instrumental hits that then turn into a cathartic punk progression in the second half; possessing energy which remains remarkably stable over the majority of the album. The lyrics throughout, which detail feelings of heartbreak, having dreams of another city, as well as other themes involving loneliness & displacement are sure to resonate with fans of this genre. To top it all off, these lyrics are often complimented by prominent, emotional vocal performances. Though the album is largely unvaried sonically, that doesn't prevent it from having a satisfying flow altogether.
By the fifth track, "pansy," I was practically nodding my head to the beat and trying to sing along with the lyrics as if I were really at some living room gig in Holliston. It's a sound I've heard before, many times in fact, but to this day I'm always happy when I hear a band like Stampeter that's managed to capture this feeling in their recorded material and, dare I say, bring me back to the "good old days." Even though they haven't done anything mind-blowingly innovative with "Too Many Boys," Stampeter still manage to approach and present their music in such a way that makes it far more enjoyable than many other local acts I've seen come up in recent months.
In conclusion, if you're a fan of New England style DIY/emo, this is definitely for you. Although it follows a very familiar formula, "Too Many Boys" is consistent, and invokes a certain energy that is sure to satisfy anyone well-versed in house show culture. The instrumentation is pretty loose and rough around the edges, but manages to do so without sounding flat-out discordant; in my opinion this is part of what makes the album so charming. I look forward to hearing more from Stampeter in the future!
Favorite Track: "waters"

No comments:
Post a Comment